Wooden Door Security
* All prices stated are a guide price only and are subject to survey.
Being burgled is a terrible experience - and we see it over 100,000 times a year repairing the damaged caused by burglary for our insurance customers. We have a unique insight into burglary techniques and have put this guide together from over 25 years of experience of burglary techniques.
The list below is a good example of the types of additional home security features you could have fitted today to a wooden/timber door to provide extra security for you and your family.
- Birmingham/London Bars: The weakest part of any door are the hinges and where the lock goes into the wooden frame. Fitting Birmingham and/or London bars to your door strengthens the door, so it can't be kicked in.
- Additional Dead-Lock: Having a single lock on your door can make it easier for the door to be kicked in or for the lock to be slipped. Adding an additional dead-lock to the door makes it harder for any intruder to get in.
- Hinge Bolt: Similar to Birmingham Bars, but only covering the hinges, hinge bolts can prevent your door being kicked in.
- Laminated Glass: If your door features glass, and particularly single glazed or float glass, we recommend our customers to fit laminated glass. The laminate on the glass helps prevent the intruder from getting in via smashing the window
- Security Bolt: Similar in concept to a multipoint lock, fitting security bolts to external doors makes your door harder to force open.
- Nigh Latch/Lock Upgrade: You may want to consider upgrading your locks to ensure you comply with your home insurance policy, or fit a modern lock that is more robust and less susceptible to being slipped.
- High Security Door: You might also want to consider changing your door for a higher security wooden door. Although in most circustances, the additional security features outlines above should be adequate.
If you'd like to get more security features added to your wooden/timber door, or would like to discuss additional security for your home, simply call us 7 days a week, 24 hours a day on 0345 145 0130 and talk to one of our trained home security advisors. Or simply start by inputing your postcode above to request a call back.