Door Materials Guide
Steel (Galvanised & Insulated)
Steel is a popular material for garage doors in the UK. It’s strong, reasonably priced and light enough to be lifted easily. Our galvanised steel range includes many different up & over designs which can be fitted with canopy or tracked opening mechanisms. We also offer a range of sectional doors which are made from steel with an insulated core.
Advantages of steel:
- Light – makes it easier to manually open and close up & over doors
- Durable – steel will last for a long time and requires very little maintenance
- Versatile – it can be finished in a huge variety of colours and wood-grain effects
- Secure – steel doors are nearly impossible to pry open
- Economical – a steel garage door will almost always be cheaper than a timber one
- Customisable – steel doors are available in a broad selection of colours and finishes, including timber-look coatings
Disadvantages of steel:
– Depending on the thickness of the steel itself, it can be easily dented if driven into
– Steel doors which aren’t insulated may not be very thermally efficient
Our Steel Range
We have a wide range of steel doors available. Both our canopy and tracked garage doors come in a variety of galvanised steel designs. All of our sectional doors are constructed from insulated steel. Click on any of the doors below for more information.
Solid timber garage doors have always been popular, as wood is a timeless material which will last a lifetime with the proper care. We offer a variety of timber designs which can be installed as canopy or tracked doors.
Advantages of timber:
- Beautiful – solid timber looks great on a huge range of homes and is timeless
- Strong – solid red cedar is a strong and durable wood which will keep your garage secure
- Versatile – the timber can be stained in a variety of different wood shades
- Efficient – timber is naturally insulating, helping to keep your garage a reasonable temperature
Disadvantages of timber:
– Timber requires regular maintenance to ensure it lasts. Regular staining of the wood should be carried out to keep moisture from getting in and rotting/warping the wood
– Timber doors tend to be more expensive than other door types
Our Timber Range
With 30 designs available in a canopy opening mechanism and 34 designs available in a tracked opening mechanism, you’ve got plenty of choice available through Evander. All timber doors have a variety of wood-stain options available to ensure a good match with the look of your property. Click on any of the doors below to view the various options.
Aluminium is a very light and head-wearing metal, making it ideal for garage doors. It’s very stable and will not deteriorate in harsh weather conditions. Our roller garage doors are constructed from aluminium with an insulated core, making them ideal for a garage which is attached to your home.
Advantages of aluminium:
- Light – aluminium is a very light metal and therefore is ideal for doors where a motor is used to raise and lower the door
- Sturdy – environmental impacts (such as weather and temperature) will not corrode or warp the metal
- Vibrant – aluminium holds your chosen colour very well and will never need repainting
- Versatile – our aluminium roller doors come in a variety of colours and are also available in a timber-look coating
Disadvantages of aluminium:
– Aluminium tends to be more expensive than steel
– Only available in roller doors, which can look industrial
Our Aluminium Range
Our entire roller door range is constructed from insulated aluminium, which can be purchased in a painted or laminated finish. There are 13 painted colours available and 3 laminated timber-grain effects. Click on any of the doors below to find out more or visit the full roller door range here.